Most of the towns and villages along the Tarka Trail are accessible by public transport.
Services and schedules can change between winter and summer months, so we have provided a list of links to help you to find the very latest, up to date information direct from the operators.
Devon County Council have produced a PDF brochure containing bus and train information. Click here to download the PDF.
More information can be found on the Devon County Council travel website https://www.traveldevon.info
The Tarka Line runs regular services between Barnstaple and Exeter. Halfway through the route is Eggesford. The section between Barnstaple and Eggesford is a part of the Tarka Trail.
For more information, visit the Great Scenic Railways website.
For the majority of the Tarka Trail, the best form of public transport is the bus.
- Stagecoach are one of the largest operators in the area. Their website gives information on all routes, times and prices. Click here to visit the Stagecoach website.
- Filers offer several bus routes between Barnstaple and Lynton and all along the North Devon coast. They also offer private hire. Visit the Filers website.
- Turners Tours run regular bus services to many of the towns and villages along the Tarka Trail between Barnstaple to Okehampton. visit the Turners Tours website.
- Travel South West offer a route planner where you can enter your location postcode and destination post code to find available routes and operators. Travel South West Route Planner.
- Bus Times is a website that lists all bus operators and bus times using maps to show their routes. Click here to visit Bus Times for North Devon.
- Exmoor National Park website has information on travel in and around the Exmoor National Park area including routes from Barnstaple to Lynton. Visit the Exmoor National Park website.
Go North Devon are an organistaion who provide transportation for the elderly and infirm who need to travel into Barnstaple. Visit Go North Devon.
There are luggage handling services available to carry your luggage from one place to another if you are walking, or taking public transport between locations.
One such service covering the Tarka Trail is Luggage Transfers Ltd based in Helston in Cornwall but operating throughout the South West. Click here to visit the Luggage Transfers website.